Posts Tagged ‘clearfield’

How to retrieve records from the State Records Center

June 19, 2017 Comments off

Although government records stored at the State Records Center in Clearfield are no longer actively referenced within your office (meaning they are used less than once a month), you may recall them whenever needed. This happens for a variety of reasons: There may be a GRAMA request for records that are housed in the State Records Center, a student may be requesting a transcript years after they’ve graduated, there may be a case file needing some additions. These requests may be for a single file or multiple files; a whole box or multiple boxes.

If you are recalling files, not boxes, separate retrieval forms need to be submitted for each file, even if they are in the same box. Once the request has been received by the Record Center staff, the records will be sent to the requester within two business days. If the files requested are so large in volume that they fill more than half the box they are stored in, the Record Center staff will send the entire box to maintain record order. If the file cannot be located, the Record Center staff will contact your office.

To locate individual files in a box, it is important that the agency provide Record Center staff with the exact file name as it was filed. As discussed in the last blog post titled “How to send records to the State Records Center”, these records are in the agency’s custody, therefore the files must be organized by the agency before transfer. Keeping an inventory of each box’s contents in the office and in the box will make it easier to retrieve files. You can organize the files by case number, by category or subject, alphabetical by last name, chronological order, or geographical order.


When you receive the file, there will be a file request form on the front. Do not remove it. Return it with the file so the Record Center staff can refile it correctly. If the file request form is not returned with the records, then the Record Center staff will not have the necessary information to re-file the records. The records will be returned to the agency until the proper organizational information and box details can be determined.

Are there any questions you have about using the Record Center? Let us know!

How to send records to the State Records Center

April 27, 2017 Comments off

Government records may be stored at the State Records Center in Clearfield when they are no longer actively referenced within your office (used less than once a month). This allows your agency to maintain ownership while using free off-site storage. Once you’ve completed a Records Transfer Sheet (RTS) online, you can coordinate with the Record Center staff to deliver your records.

Clearfield Building Sept 06 2012 011

Here are a few guidelines and pointers. First of all, verify that the record series have been scheduled and assigned a series number by the State Archives. If there is no series number assigned, work with your analyst to obtain one. If you send records to the State Records Center without a series number, they will be sent back to you. If the records are past retention, do not send them to the State Records Center to be destroyed.

Once the records are scheduled and you have received a series number, you are ready to box your records. The boxes must meet the specifications required by the State Archives. You can order boxes from Office Depot. Call 1-888-263-3423 and provide your Office Depot Customer Number. If you don’t have one, you will be invited to establish one. Office Depot must have your account open before they can view the box item number (285052) in their system. If you have any trouble ordering the boxes, call 801-736-7377.

The Record Center staff has provided a few do’s and don’ts for packing boxes:

  • DO pack records using the same arrangement you use in your office. You do not need to create a new filing system to send records to the State Records Center.
  • DO replace hanging file folders, and binders with labeled manila folders.
  • DO remove rubber bands.
  • DO tape boxes if you are using State Mail. If you are not using State Mail, it is not required.
  • DO keep an inventory of each box’s contents. A copy of this inventory should remain with the records officer and a copy should be kept in the box.
  • DO label boxes with a large black pen and include the following information directly on the box in the proper field: Agency name, agency-assigned box number, and record series number.
  • DO contact the Records Center at 801-525-3020 to make special arrangements for oversize materials like maps.
  • DO notify the Archives if you send cassette tapes,VHS, CDs, flash drives, or other non-paper media to the Records Center for storage by indicating so on the Record Transfer Sheet:RTS_Non-paper media included
  • DON’T over-pack the boxes. There should be about two inches of space in the box. Your hand should be able to easily use the handles on the side and easily fit in the box to retrieve folders. If you scratch your hand, the Record Center staff will too when retrieving, shelving and filing the box.
  • DON’T send cassette tapes/VHS or CDs to the Records Center for storage.
  • DON’T put records belonging to more than one record series in the box.
  • DON’T reuse old boxes that have already been written on.

Once boxes are prepared, fill out the online Records Transfer Sheet (RTS). Make sure you indicate on the transfer sheet if anything in the box is not paper. After you have submitted the RTS, the Records Center will email and let you know when you may send the records. If State Mail (801-323-4300) is available, you may send up to 6 boxes without prior arrangement.  Upon delivery, Records Center staff will verify that all boxes match the Records Transfer Sheet. They will send a Box Accession Report to whomever submitted the original RTS. As a note, if the record officer is not the person submitting the RTS, they will not receive the Accession Report, which they may need to have, so make sure you are keeping the record officer in the loop.


Stay tuned for part 3- How to retrieve records from the State Records Center!

What is the State Records Center?

April 6, 2017 2 comments

As a records officer, you have probably heard about or used the State Records Center (Records Center) in Clearfield. Often the Records Center is mistaken for the State Archives and Records Service (Archives) building in downtown Salt Lake City. The Records Center is part of the Utah Division of Archives and Records Service, meaning it is managed by Archives staff, but the two locations have different roles in managing records. This post is the first in a three-part series to discuss the purpose of the Records Center, and how to utilize it.

The Records Center is a secure warehouse in Clearfield operated by the Archives in order to store your paper and microform records off-site. The Records Center has secure, stable conditions. This means that the building was built according to fire safety requirements, located away from flood plain areas, secured from water leaks and pest infestations, and equipped with an anti-intrusion alarm system.

File Jun 16, 10 31 35 AM

When records are no longer actively referenced within your office (used less than once a month), they can be stored in the Records Center in order to free up expensive office space until total retention has been met. Your office may transfer records to the Records Center, but this type of transfer leaves the ownership of the records in your hands. The public cannot access the Records Center. All requests must be made through the agency holding custody of the record(s).

Disposition, meaning transfer to an archival repository or destruction, is managed by the Records Center staff. No records are destroyed without signed approval from your agency.

You are welcome to tour the facility if your office is trying to determine the best off-site storage for your records. The State Records Center staff can be reached at 801-525-3020.

You may transfer permanent records that have met retention directly to the Archives in Salt Lake City, and these records would then be owned by the Archives for permanent preservation. If you have records to transfer to the Archives, please contact your analyst.

Stay tuned for part 2- How to send records to the State Records Center!

We’re Back!

The Records Center (RC) completed its relocation to the new Freeport Center location in Clearfield. Effective Wednesday, March 28, 2012 the RC will begin accepting records retrieval requests and records transfer requests. The process for requesting and transferring records remains the same. You can view an informative training video on how to transfer records to the RC on the Archives’ website.

The Records Center’s new telephone number is: (801) 525-3045; and our new fax number is: (801) 825-3293.

The Records Center’s mailing address has not changed. It is:

Utah State Records Center

PO Box 141029

Salt Lake City, UT 84114-1029

The new street address is:

Utah State Records Center

Building C-6

5th St &C St

Clearfield, Utah

Thank you for your patience and understanding during the transition. Our staff looks forward to working with you and continuing to provide quality records management and offsite storage services.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.